Tonight I am discontent with life. Two hours ago, I was totally fine, but now, at this moment, I’m asking God a lot of questions.
“When is this gonna happen?” and “Why hasn’t this happened yet?” and “How come this?” and “God, don’t you know I’m a year away from 30 here?”
It’s not often that I face these thoughts of discontentment, but when they come, they roar.
As I rolled out my list of questions to the Father, He only said one thing in response,
“Don’t rush the process.”
Don’t rush the process? I just asked you 20 questions and you answered not one of them. Instead you say, “Don’t rush the process.”
Ok. Soooo I’m supposed to just take that and be ok?
Moments like these make me feel like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum while my parent ignores my rant, waiting for me to come to my senses; showing me that my tantrum will yield no rewards.
That quite possibly could be what’s happening here. Actually, I’m convinced it is.
Any who, now I’m here, writing my way back to my senses (hopefully able to help someone else in the process).
Tonight my thoughts and perspectives are saying that God’s timing is not best.
My attitude of discontentment is saying that the all-knowing, all-wise God, doesn’t know what He’s doing with my existence.
How arrogant of me.
My mind knows that this isn’t truth; my mind knows that these thoughts are foolishness, but my heart is clearly feeling otherwise.
So what do we do in the times where discontentment comes in seeking to destroy our joy and peace?
We pick up a shotgun and shoot it in the head.
Ok so that’s impossible, but seriously, we must kill it.
Death to discontentment
It robs us. Adds nothing of value to our lives and it LIES!
So lets do this together. Write down your current list of truths. I’d love to read them if you want to share, just leave a comment or send me a message! By the end of our reflections, I believe we’ll be one step closer to contentment.
So here are my life truths. Despite all the things I’d choose to change right now, the truths of my life are:
- I am surrounded by loving friends and family
- I have an amazing job where I sometimes work crazy hours without complaint because I enjoy what I do so much
- I have some great mentors who willingly check on me and speak truth into my life
- I have some of the best little brothers and sisters who I get to walk through life with
- I have the absolutely undeserved privilege of sharing God’s word with people
- All of my needs are met
- I am in good health
- I am exactly where God wants me to be
I am blessed & so are you.
We must adjust our perspectives, replacing our complaints with truth, and we must avoid the temptation to rush the process.
Here are 3 final nuggets for us to ponder:
1. We don’t know what’s best
- “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.” -Isaiah 55:8
2. There is a point to the process
- “…and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,” -Romans 5:4
3. God knows what He’s doing
- “for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ -Isaiah 46:9-10
And as a bonus, the scripture that straight shut me up:
“Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.” -1 Samuel 2:3
And done. Lol
Would love to hear from you if this resonated with you in any way.
Let’s help each other restore our contenment and rest in knowing God’s got this.